Is there Parking?
- Yes! Our main public parking lot is located at 70 Reservoir Rd. and is open from dawn till dusk, except during NYS Regular Deer Hunting Season. There is a $5 daily parking fee per car and the automated pay station accepts cash and credit cards. Friends of the Forest park for free.
- There is extremely limited parking at the Mineral Springs Rd., Mine Hill Rd., and Pecks Rd. entrances. Please obey all traffic signs.
Safety & Planning
- Consider the time of day, length of your hike, the weather and plan and dress accordingly.
Leave No Trace
- Take only photos and leave only footprints! Please remember that Black Rock Forest is a carry- in carry-out destination with no trash bins or garbage receptacles. We thank our visitors for being considerate stewards of the land.
Are dogs allowed?
- Dogs are welcome at Black Rock Forest. We do ask that you follow NYS law and keep your dog leashed and under your control at all times. This is for your dog’s safety as well as for the benefit of the general public (prevents unsafe encounters with wildlife, prevents lost dogs, and reduces interference with BRF research equipment).
- Please also pickup after your dog – not doing so leads to unpleasant and unsanitary conditions and can contaminate streams and water systems. Dog waste on the side of trails also causes unsanitary conditions for volunteers and forest crew when trimming and maintaining trails. This means carrying out your doggie waste bags – when you pick it up, please pack it out.
Are drones allowed?
- The use of drones in Black Rock Forest is not permitted by the general public. We allow drone use for scientific research, special photography requests, etc. Please contact us if you have any questions (email@example.com) or click here to obtain a permit (application must be submitted 10 days prior to use).
Biking in the Forest
- Bicycles, Unicycles, etc. are allowed on the Forest Roads ONLY. They are not allowed on the hiking trails. E-Bikes are not permitted, unless you apply in advance for a permit. Please contact us if you have any questions (firstname.lastname@example.org) or click here to obtain a permit.
- Motorcycles and Dirt Bikes are NOT allowed on the Forest Roads or on the Hiking Trails. Visitors are welcome to visit the Forest on their Motorcycles or Dirt Bikes, they must however park them in the parking lots with the cars/trucks of the other visitors.
- ATV’s/Snowmobiles are not allowed in Black Rock Forest, other then those owned and operated by BRF Staff.
- Please remain on MARKED trails or Forest Roads and try to walk single file – help us protect the Forest by preventing erosion. This is especially important in the early spring when the ground is more fragile .
Organized Groups – How do we plan our visit?
- Organized groups must pre-register with Black Rock Forest before visiting. We will need the Group Name, Address, Telephone # and the Hike Leader Name, Email, Cell Phone, and the Number of hikers. We ask that groups carpool as much as possible.
- Groups are asked to travel in cohorts of a maximum of 12 to mitigate the impact on the land. If your group is larger than 12, we ask that you split the group and take separate loops – perhaps meeting for lunch or a snack in the middle. When you call, we are happy to provide maps and hiking suggestions for your group to make your visit more enjoyable. NOTE: large groups may be turned away if they have not pre-registered and there is overcrowding in the parking lot; for the safety of all visitors. There will be a a charge per car to park in our lot and additional fees will apply for Vans and large buses.
- Vans: Please note that parking fees for vans (vehicles carrying more than 10 passengers) are $25/daily parking fees and must be paid in advance.
- Coach buses: Please note that our parking lots are too small to accommodate coach buses. Please call ahead to make other transportation arrangements.